The MPI as a tool to measure Child Poverty
Half of the Global MPI poor are children
Half of the Global MPI poor are children (among 103 countries and 5.8 billion people)
- 2 out of 5 children (37%) are MPI poor ~ 689M children living in multidimensional poverty.
– 50% of children in South Asia and 67% in Sub-Saharan Africa are MPI poor.
- Incidence of the Global MPI is higher for children in every country, and children face higher intensity of poverty.
- In 36 countries, including India, over 50% of children are MPI poor.
– In Ethiopia, Niger and South Sudan, over 90% of children are MPI poor.